Indiana shows significant growth in venture activity over 2018
February 18, 2020
Elevate Ventures today released the 2019 Indiana Venture Report, a yearend assessment of venture investment activity in Indiana. This report examines Indiana’s economic opportunities and business climate along with examining national venture trends and activity.
“We are encouraged by the results of the 2019 Indiana Venture Report, including a record-breaking year for the state,” said Chris LaMothe, CEO of Elevate Ventures. “Indiana proves to be a significant player among regional and national venture capital activity, and we anticipate more success as we continue to support innovation and drive economic growth.”
The 2019 Indiana Venture Report revealed:
- For Indiana, 2019 was a record-breaking year for both venture deal count and dollars invested
- For the first time since 2009, Indiana surpassed 100 in the number of venture deals and over half a billion dollars invested in a given year
- Indiana accounted for 0.42% of national venture capital invested in 2019, compared to 0.22% in 2018
- Significant increase in 2019’s venture capital investment was driven by more and larger rounds invested in Indiana companies
- Indiana recorded 11 venture deals over $10 million in 2019, compared to 5 deals over $10 million in 2018
- While B2B tech and Central Indiana continue to dominate Indiana’s venture activities, there are emerging sectors and communities where venture community stakeholders are actively pooling resources and/or forming partnerships to support the launch and development of startups
The primary source of investment information used in the 2019 Indiana Venture Report was PitchBook Data Inc. in conjunction with Elevate Ventures’ proprietary deal information and secondary data collected from Elevate Ventures’ key co-investment partners. Data from BioCrossroads, Gener8tor, TechPoint, the U.S. Census Bureau, the Bureau of Economic Analysis, Tax Foundation, Crunchbase Inc., and the Missouri Economic Research and Information Center are also incorporated. The Venture Club of Indiana served as a key partner in our data collection activities.
Click to read the full Elevate Ventures 2019 Indiana Venture Report.